- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 six-inch piece fresh ginger, finely diced
- 2 cups water
- ice cubes
- 4 cups sparkling apple cider
- 6 cinnamon sticks, cut in half
- 12 pieces crystallized ginger
- To prepare ginger syrup, place sugar*, grater ginger and water in a medium saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour until ginger flavor is strong. Strain mixture and refrigerate to chill.
- To prepare Ginger-Apple Sparkler, place one tablespoon ginger syrup in each glass (use short tumblers).
- Fill with ice cubes, pour in 1/2-cup cider and stir to combine.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick and crystallized ginger.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 185
- Protein 0 g
- Carbohydrates 47 g
- Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 25 mg
- Potassium 110 mg
- Phosphorus 7 mg
- Calcium 7 mg
- Fiber 0.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 high calorie
- Syrup may be stored in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- Ginger is often used to help treat nausea and motion sickness.
- *For those with diabetes, omit the sugar in ginger syrup. Instead, make concentrated ginger-flavored water. Sweeten to taste with sugar substitute. Nutrients decrease to 61 calories, 15 grams carbohydrate.