Asian Orange Chicken
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger root
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons green onion
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Mince ginger root and garlic. Chop green onion.
- Pour 1-1/2 cups water, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce into a saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Stir in the orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, chopped onion, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and cool 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut chicken into 1/2-in pieces and place into a resealable plastic bag. When contents of saucepan have cooled, pour 1 cup of sauce into bag. Reserve the remaining sauce. Seal the bag, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the marinated chicken into the skillet, and brown on both sides. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet, and add the sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Mix together the cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup water; stir into the sauce. Reduce heat to medium low, add the chicken pieces, and simmer, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide into 4 portions and serve hot.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 242
- Protein 14 g
- Carbohydrates 19 g
- Fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 37 mg
- Sodium 340 mg
- Potassium 240 mg
- Phosphorus 118 mg
- Calcium 30 mg
- Fiber 0.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1 fat
- 1/2 high calorie
- Serve with steamed rice to complete the meal.
- Turkey cutlets, chicken thigh meat or pork loin can be substituted for chicken breast.