Chicken and Rice Casserole
- CKD non-dialysis
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups nondairy creamer
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups cubed chicken or turkey, cooked
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning blend
Heat oven to 350° F. Spray a 1-1/2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over low heat.
After butter is melted, stir in flour and black pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in worcestershire sauce, broth and nondairy creamer. Heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute.
- Stir in cooked rice, chicken or turkey, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion and Mrs. Dash herb seasoning.
- Pour into baking dish. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 380
- Protein 17 g
- Carbohydrates 35 g
- Fat 18 g
- Cholesterol 52 mg
- Sodium 218 mg
- Potassium 336 mg
- Phosphorus 195 mg
- Calcium 32 mg
- Fiber 1.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 1 fat
- Portion leftovers and freeze to reheat later for a quick meal.
- For variation, substitute 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables for bell peppers and mushrooms.
- Reduce or increase the amount of poultry for a lower or higher protein meal.