Chicken and Summer Vegetable Kebabs
- CKD non-dialysis
1 large kebab or 2 small kebabs
- 1 tablespoon peach jam
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs (6 thighs)
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- To make marinade, measure peach jam into a small microwave safe bowl and heat for 10 to 15 seconds to liquefy. Add olive oil, lemon juice, Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning and salt. Stir until well blended.
- Rinse chicken thighs and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut each thigh into 4 pieces and place in a zip-lock bag.
- Add 3 tablespoons marinade to chicken pieces. (Reserve 2 tablespoons marinade to use on vegetables). Seal zip-lock bag and refrigerate to marinate.
- Cut vegetables into even bite-sized pieces for kebabs (zucchini-8 slices, yellow squash-8 slices, red pepper-16 pieces, onion-varies). Place in a medium bowl and add reserved marinade. Stir to coat vegetable pieces.
- Thread vegetables and chicken pieces onto skewers (4 large or 8 small sized skewers).
- Heat barbeque grill to medium heat. Place skewers on the grill and cook covered for 12 to 15 minutes. Turn skewers 2 or 3 times to cook evenly.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 284
- Protein 24 g
- Carbohydrates 10 g
- Fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 80 mg
- Sodium 215 mg
- Potassium 456 mg
- Phosphorus 194 mg
- Calcium 30 mg
- Fiber 1.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 vegetable, low potassium
- To prevent kebabs from sticking to the grill, use tongs to wipe grates with an oily paper towel before placing kebabs on grill.
- For a lower or higher protein diet decrease or increase the amount of chicken.