- CKD non-dialysis
1 chicken breast with 1/2 cup of sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 16 ounces canned whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Preheat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and sauté until clear.
Add chicken and cook for 3–4 minutes on each side.
In a medium-sized bowl combine ketchup, dry mustard, cranberry sauce, packed brown sugar and vinegar. Stir until mixed and pour into skillet.
Cover and cook on medium heat for 15–20 minutes.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 346
- Protein 31 g
- Carbohydrates 42 g
- Fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 85 mg
- Sodium 248 mg
- Potassium 330 mg
- Phosphorus 242 mg
- Calcium 27 mg
- Fiber 1.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1 fruit
- 1-1/2 high calorie
- Serve with white rice and green beans for a complete kidney friendly meal.
- Use Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend to reduce carbohydrate content if you have diabetes.
- Another way to reduce carbohydrate is to substitute 1-1/2 cups of frozen cranberries in place of whole-berry cranberry sauce and add low calorie sweetener to desired sweetness.
- For a lower sodium dish use no added salt ketchup without potassium chloride.
- Cut large chicken breast-halves in half for 6 pieces.
- Use chicken thighs or legs if you like dark-meat chicken.
- Adjust the chicken portion to match your meal plan if you are on a lower protein diet.