Pineapple Chicken with Honey Mustard Sauce
- CKD non-dialysis
3 ounces chicken with 1/2 cup rice, 1/4 of the sauce and 1/4 of the pineapple
- 20 ounces canned pineapple slices, in juice
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Rub chicken with garlic and thyme, then sprinkle with black pepper to taste.
- Heat oil over high heat in a non-stick skillet. Brown chicken on both sides then reduce heat to medium.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the reserved pineapple juice with cornstarch; set aside.
- Combine honey and mustard; stir into skillet with remaining pineapple juice.
- Spoon sauce over chicken. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into skillet with chicken and sauce.
- Add pineapple rings. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens.
- Serve 3 ounces chicken per plate with 1/2 cup rice, 1/4 of the sauce and 1/4 of the pineapple for each serving.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 412
- Protein 28 g
- Carbohydrates 55 g
- Fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 70 mg
- Sodium 372 mg
- Potassium 430 mg
- Phosphorus 298 mg
- Calcium 32 mg
- Fiber 3.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 high calorie
Pineapple chunks can be used instead of slices, if desired.
For a lower protein dish try boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast .
For a lower carbohydrate dish omit the rice and serve with a non-starchy vegetable such as summer squash, carrots or green beans.