Anise and Orange Biscotti
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons anise seed
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix first five dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir well.
- Place eggs, oil, and extract in a small bowl and beat until frothy, either by hand with a whisk or with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough is mixed. Can use low speed on a mixer for about 1 minute.
- Place dough on a lightly floured board and shape into a ball. Cut in half.
- Roll each half into a log approximately 12" long. Flatten top slightly.
- Place dough on cookie sheet and bake until lightly golden, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Use a bread knife or other serrated knife and slice at approximately 3/4" intervals to get 18 biscotti per half of dough.
- Place sliced biscotti back on cookie sheet with cut side up and bake until lightly golden, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from oven, turn biscotti over and bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.