Italian Chicken Salad
- CKD non-dialysis
Approximately 1-1/4 cups, plus 1/2 cup arugula or romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 sprigs Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 red or orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sweet onion
- 2 cups grilled summer squash
- 2 cups baby arugula
Snip 2 parsley sprigs into small pieces. Chop bell pepper; finely chop onion. Slice grilled squash into half moons.
Mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, snipped parsley and cayenne pepper (optional) in a mixing bowl.
Chop chicken into 1/2-inch cubes.
Add chopped chicken, pepper, onion and squash to the mayonnaise and toss to coat.
Chill at least one hour to allow flavors to blend.
Serve over 1/2 cup of baby arugula or baby romaine lettuce. Garnish with remaining 4 parsley sprigs.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 421
- Protein 30 g
- Carbohydrates 10 g
- Fat 29 g
- Cholesterol 80 mg
- Sodium 256 mg
- Potassium 670 mg
- Phosphorus 270 mg
- Calcium 66 mg
- Fiber 2.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Feel free to experiment with different combinations of herbs such as basil, rosemary, thyme, savory, oregano, etc., depending upon your personal tastes and availability and costs.
- If you are following a lower protein diet reduce chicken portion to half or to the amount recommended by your dietitian.
- Substitute cooked, diced chicken breast for the Chicken in Rosemary-Garlic Sauce if you did not prepare the recipe.
- Replace arugula with baby romaine lettuce if preferred.