Lemony Couscous Salad with Cranberries
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/2 cup cucumber
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups couscous, uncooked
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup dried cranberries, sweetened
- Chop celery, cucumber, onion and parsley.
- In a sauce pan, combine 2 cups water with olive oil and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and cover. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Transfer couscous to a large serving bowl and cool in refrigerator while preparing the other ingredients.
- Combine lemon juice with cayenne pepper and cumin.
- To the cooled couscous, stir in the lemon juice and seasonings, chopped vegetables, cranberries and parsley; mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Return to the refrigerator for several hours. Fluff with a fork before serving. Garnish with lemon slices and parsley.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 158
- Protein 4 g
- Carbohydrates 31 g
- Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 11 mg
- Potassium 103 mg
- Phosphorus 55 mg
- Calcium 18 mg
- Fiber 2.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- A 10-ounce box of couscous is equal to 1-1/2 cups.
- Serve cold as a salad.
- Great for a picnic or for a buffet or a pot luck.