Fiesta Tilapia Ceviche
- CKD non-dialysis
1 cup plus 6 crackers
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh tilapia fillets
- 1 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 cup pineapple
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/4 cups fresh lime juice
- 48 saltine crackers with unsalted tops
- Chop onion, bell pepper and cilantro. Dice pineapple. Cube tilapia into small chunks.
- Broil the tilapia cubes on high for 3 minutes per side.
- Cool tilapia for 5 minutes then pour fresh lime juice over it and mix well. Be sure that all of the pieces of tilapia are completely covered with the lime juice.
- Mix the bell pepper, onion, cilantro, pineapple, black pepper and canola oil with the cooked tilapia.
- Cover and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve each portion with 6 saltine creackers with unsalted tops.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 220
- Protein 19 g
- Carbohydrates 20 g
- Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 36 mg
- Sodium 168 mg
- Potassium 374 mg
- Phosphorus 162 mg
- Calcium 43 mg
- Fiber 1.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 starch
- As an appetizer, serve in a martini glass with 1/4 cup ceviche and garnish with saltine crackers with unsalted tops along with some cilantro leaves.
- One lime yields 2 tablespoons lime juice. Ten limes are needed for this recipe.
- Substitute pineapple tidbits canned in juice if fresh pineapple is unavailable.