Halibut with Lemon Caper Sauce (high protein)
3 ounces fish, 3/4 cup rice, 2 tablespoons sauce
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 ounces raw halibut steaks
- 4-1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Combine 2 tablespoons lemon juice and olive oil in a large zip-lock bag. Add halibut steaks and marinate 5 minutes.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium. Place halibut in skillet and cook 3 minutes. Turn, cook 2 minutes longer, then remove fish from skillet.
- To make sauce, melt butter in the skillet over low heat, add flour and stir. Pour broth into flour mixture and continue stirring for 1 minute. Add wine, lemon juice, capers and pepper. Continue to stir and cook until sauce thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place halibut in pan to reheat. Divide fish into 6 portions and serve over 3/4-cup cooked rice. Top with 2 tablespoons Lemon Caper Sauce.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 340
- Protein 26 g
- Carbohydrates 34 g
- Fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 46 mg
- Sodium 118 mg
- Potassium 573 mg
- Phosphorus 306 mg
- Calcium 79 mg
- Fiber 0.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Substitutes for halibut include orange roughy, cod and flounder.
- Use low heat and stir constantly to make a smooth sauce.
- Check labels on reduced sodium chicken broth. Best choices are below 500 milligrams sodium per 1 cup serving. Acceptable brands include Health Valley®, Kitchen Basics® and Swanson®.