- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 pounds raw shrimp
- 2 cups onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 bunch parsley
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 quart oil for frying
- Finely chop shrimp, onion, bell pepper and parsley. Beat eggs.
- Mix all of the ingredients except flour together in a mixing bowl.
- After mixing, gradually add flour. Continue adding flour a little at a time until mix gets thick and hangs on to the spoon.
- To deep fry, heat oil in a large skillet or deep-fryer. Drop medium-sized spoonfuls of shrimp batter into hot oil and cook until browned and crisp on both sides.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Serve hot.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 325
- Protein 23 g
- Carbohydrates 13 g
- Fat 20 g
- Cholesterol 222 mg
- Sodium 165 mg
- Potassium 290 mg
- Phosphorus 254 mg
- Calcium 70 mg
- Fiber 1.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
- Suggested Cajun seasonings include homemade Salt-free Cajun Seasoning on DaVita.com, Mrs. Dash Cajun seasoning blend or Benoit’s Best Salt-Free Cajun seasoning. Avoid products with potassium chloride.
- Instead of frying you can form batter into patties and bake on a greased baking sheet at 350° F until golden brown.
- Try crab or crawfish instead of shrimp. Both are equally great!