- CKD non-dialysis
1-cup chili plus 1/2-cup rice
1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup green pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken, boneless, skinless, cooked
- 14 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 cups white rice, cooked
Chop garlic, onion, celery, carrots and green pepper. Dice cooked chicken.
Pour oil in a large stock pot.
Sauté garlic, onion, celery, carrot and green pepper until soft.
Add low-sodium broth and bring to a boil.
Drain tomatoes. Drain and rinse kidney beans.
Add chicken, beans, tomatoes, salsa, chili powder and oregano to sauted vegetables. Simmer for 1 hour.
Serve 1-cup chili over 1/2-cup white rice. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon grated sharp cheddar cheese and 1 tablespoon sour cream.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 355
- Protein 24 g
- Carbohydrates 38 g
- Fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 59 mg
- Sodium 348 mg
- Potassium 653 mg
- Phosphorus 270 mg
- Calcium 133 mg
- Fiber 4.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1-1/2 vegetable, medium and high potassium
- 2 starch
1-1/2 punds cooked chicken is approximately 3 cups. If you wish, use a stewing chicken or a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. Pull meat from bones and chop.
Compare brands and buy the lowest sodium canned and bottled ingredients.
- Freeze 1 cup portions for a quick meal later.
- Recipe is easy to reduce for a smaller batch.
- If you are on a protein-limited diet, adjust this recipe by decreasing the portion of meat and cheese.