Turkey, Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups turkey, cooked
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking wild rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces canned sliced mushrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® Original herb seasoning blend
- 1-1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Chop onion, bell pepper and carrots. Mince garlic. Shred turkey.
- Bring 1-3/4 cups broth to boil in a sauce pan over medium heat; add quick-cooking wild rice to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, carrots and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse mushrooms, then add to vegetables.
- Add remaining 3-1/4 cups broth, bay leaves, turkey, Mrs. Dash seasoning, thyme, salt and pepper to pan. Cook until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves and add cooked wilds rice to soup. Serve immediately.