Zesty Taco Soup
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 15.5 ounces canned dark red kidney beans
- 15.25 ounces low-sodium canned white corn
- 15.5 ounces canned yellow hominy
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 medium jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon package McCormick 30% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning®
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Drain and rinse kidney beans, corn and hominy.
- Chop onion and green peppers; dice garlic and seed jalapeno pepper.
- Place chicken in the bottom of a large crock-pot and top with all remaining ingredients.
- Cover crock-pot and cook on high for 1 hour. Turn heat to low and cook for an additional 6 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork and mix to combine ingredients.
- Portion into 1 cup servings and enjoy.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 190
- Protein 21 g
- Carbohydrates 19 g
- Fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 42 mg
- Sodium 421 mg
- Potassium 444 mg
- Phosphorus 210 mg
- Calcium 28 mg
- Fiber 4.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1-1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- Sodium content varies between brands. Compare several cans and select the products with the lowest amount of sodium per serving.
- This is a thick soup, so you may need to add some low sodium chicken broth when reheating leftovers. Serve over steamed rice if desired.