Spicy Summer Vegetable Blend
- CKD non-dialysis
1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup red bell peppers
- 1 cup zucchini
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash red chili flakes
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon bottled barbecue sauce
- Dice onion, cut bell pepper julienne style and slice zucchini.
- Heat oil, onion and corn in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently until onion turns translucent and corn begins to brown.
- Add bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, black pepper, chili flakes and water. Stir and cover. Cook 3 to 5 minutes until zucchini is tender and water has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and stir in barbeque sauce. Divide into 4 portions and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 71
- Protein 2 g
- Carbohydrates 9 g
- Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 46 mg
- Potassium 223 mg
- Phosphorus 45 mg
- Calcium 12 mg
- Fiber 1.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 starch
- 1/2 fat
- 1 medium ear of fresh corn yields 3/4 to 1 cup of corn kernels. You can also use frozen or low-sodium canned corn.
- 1 medium-sized zucchini yields 1 cup sliced.
- Julienne means to cut in thin, long strips.
- Compare labels to select commercial barbeque sauce with the lowest sodium content.