Travel Checklist for People on Dialysis
You’re almost there. Just follow these guidelines and you’ll be on your way to an exciting vacation you will remember for years to come.
- Talk to your doctor, nurse and social worker to let them know about your plans. They will be able to give you important information for your trip. Write down any questions or concerns you may have prior to your conversation.
- Call your insurance carrier to find out what expenses are covered. Some private insurance groups don't allow travel or won't pay for travel outside their coverage area. Be sure to get this information before you leave on your trip. Insurance consultations are available at no charge from DaVita insurance specialists. You can request an insurance consultation online or call DaVita Guest Services at 1-800-244-0680.
- Locate a dialysis center close to your hotel or vacation home at least 2 months in advance of your visit. Call DaVita Guest Services at 1-800-244-0680.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Whether you dialyze in-center, at home or with peritoneal dialysis, you should locate a dialysis center in the city you are visiting. It is very important to know where to go in case you need help or forget something. Carry the name, address and phone number of the DaVita dialysis center in the city you are visiting with you during your trip.
- Pack your medical information in your carry-on luggage and bring it with you to dialysis, if your records have not already been sent to your visiting center. You, your nurse or social worker may fax your dialysis records to the visiting DaVita center ahead of time. Most dialysis centers will need information about your health, including your medical records and recent lab reports, an EKG and chest x-ray, your dialysis prescription, recent treatment records, dialysis access type, insurance information, a list of the medications you take plus your local phone number and contact information in the city you are visiting.
- Bring along extra medication in case you get delayed while traveling.
Related articles on DaVita.com