Make-Ahead Kidney Diet Meal Ideas for the Holidays
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice or diagnosis from a physician.
It’s that time of year when the holiday rush begins. Decorating, shopping and celebrations are fun, but can cause stress when you’re trying to balance a busy schedule. Make-ahead meals can help you stay on track with your kidney diet as well as free up some time for extra holiday fun.
DaVita® dietitians created this guide with suggestions for make-ahead meal planning for quick, on-the-run meals to take to a social event when time is short.
- On the days you cook, plan to make extra food to freeze for a quick meal that you can reheat in the microwave or oven. It’s just as easy to prepare a large batch as it is a regular size recipe. Another tip: Use one weekend day to make food for the week and store it.
- Assemble ingredients for several meals you plan to serve. You can pre-measure ingredients, chop vegetables and place items together in a container to save time when you are ready to prepare the meal.
- Purchase produce already cleaned and cut. Salad mixes; vegetable mixtures; chopped onion; celery and carrots; and cut up fruit are among the many ready-to-go fresh foods.
- During busy months, keep your slow cooker out and cook up tonight’s meal in the morning; it’s ready when you come home for dinner.
- Make a batch of soup, stew or chili and serve with hearty bread or rolls or over rice. Freeze extras for lunch.
- Ask the family to pitch in for even more time-saving help.
- Make a simple breakfast meal for dinner using your go-to morning recipes.
- Bake holiday breads, wrap well and freeze. Thaw and take a loaf to potlucks, social events or wrap it up for a special holiday gift.
- Stash kidney-friendly nutrition bars or energy drinks in your desk at work or in the car so you can have a snack when you’re too busy to grab a full meal.
- Keep a grocery list handy so you swing by the grocery store to pick up needed items while you are out doing other things.
- Ask your dietitian about which frozen, ready-to-eat meals are best for a kidney diet. Although many are high in sodium, there are frozen entrees and meals that are a good fit for a kidney-friendly diet.
Check out these DaVita.com recipes designed to save time so you experience a fun and relaxing holiday season.
One-Dish Meal Recipes
- Breakfast Casserole
- Shrimp and Crab Gumbo
- Linguine with Garlic and Shrimp
- Turkey Vegetable Chili
- Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup
- Vegetarian Egg Fried Rice
5 or Less Ingredients Recipes
- Brewery Burger
- No-Fuss Microwave Egg White French Toast
- Mandarin Chicken Salad
- Pork Chops with Orange Glaze
Freezer to Table Recipes
Slow Cooker Recipes
- Creamy Crock Pot® Beef and Noodles
- Slow Cooker Apple Roast Pork
- Crock Pot® Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken with Carrots and Green Beans