A-maze-ing Bean Dip
1-1/2" x 1-1/2" square
- CKD non-dialysis
- Heart Healthy
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 2-1/2 cups white hominy, canned or fresh cooked
- 1 cup pinto beans, fresh cooked
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 ounces reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 lime
- Chop onion, bell peppers and cilantro.
- Blend the following ingredients in a food processor: hominy, pinto beans, low-fat cream cheese, olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, cumin and optional chili powder. Spread into a 9" x 9" pan.
- Using a spatula, layer sour cream over bean mixture.
- Lightly sauté in a skillet: red onion, green and red bell peppers and 1 clove of garlic. Avoid overcooking so that peppers are firm, not mushy.
- Squeeze lime over the sautéed bell pepper and onion mixture for extra flavor and then drain excess liquid.
- Spoon bell pepper mixture on top of sour cream and smooth until dip is covered.
- Serve the dip on flour tortillas when making tacos, or serve with homemade flour tortilla chips or pita chips for dipping.
- Using fresh pinto beans that have been soaked instead of canned beans greatly reduces the sodium content of the dip.
- Beans are high in potassium and phosphorus. This recipe shows you how to include a small amount of beans and still limit these minerals in your kidney diet.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Jennifer from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
Sodium 72 mg
Potassium 73 mg
Phosphorus 33 mg
Calcium 26 mg
Fiber 0.9 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register