Buffalo Chicken Dip
- CKD non-dialysis
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup bottled roasted red peppers
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 teaspoons Tabasco® hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- Set the cream cheese out to soften.
- Drain the red peppers and measure 1/2 cup. Puree in a blender or food processor to make red pepper sauce.
- In a medium bowl mix cream cheese and sour cream together until smooth. Add pureed peppers and 2 teaspoons of Tabasco sauce. Stir until combined.
- Add the chicken and gently mix. Add additional hot sauce 1/2 teaspoon at a time; taste and continue to add hot sauce to the heat level you desire.
- Place mixture in a slow cooker for 2 to 3 hours on low heat, or bake in the oven at 350° F for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm dip with carrots, celery, cucumber, cauliflower for dipping, or make mini roll-ups by wrapping dip inside lettuce or cabbage leaves.
- Look for bottled or canned roasted red peppers with 85 mg or less sodium per ounce, or roast fresh red peppers to puree. Trader Joe’s fire roasted red peppers contain only 60 mg sodium per ounce.
- Hot sauce brands and varieties vary greatly in sodium content. Stick to the original Tabasco® hot pepper sauce because it’s much lower in sodium. Increase to 6 teaspoons if you like more heat.
- Serve with raw vegetables. Lower potassium choices include carrots, celery, cucumber, cauliflower for dipping, or lettuce or cabbage leaves for wraps.
- If serving at a party bake then place in a small slow cooker to keep warm.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Sarah from Missouri.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 6 g
Carbohydrates 2 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 109 mg
Potassium 89 mg
Phosphorus 56 mg
Calcium 26 mg
Fiber 0 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register