Corn and Cheese Balls
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 cups frozen yellow corn
- 1 green chili
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 4 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon cilantro powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Thaw corn. Finely chop green chili and cilantro.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the cheese and thawed corn.
- Soak bread slices in water and squeeze out water so the bread becomes dry. Add this to corn and cheese mixture. Add flour, dry spices and cilantro. Mix it gently.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Using a tablespoon, form small balls from the corn and cheese mixture and drop each ball into the hot oil. Cook until golden brown.
- Remove balls from the oil and place on a tray with kitchen napkin to drain excess oil.
- Serve hot with Cilantro Chutney.
- If available, substitute crumbled paneer cheese for cottage cheese.
- Paneer is an unaged cheese made by curdling milk with lemon juice or other acid food. Substitutions include dry curd cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese, queso blanco or queso fresco. Portion is limited since this dairy product contains phosphorus.
Submitted by: Recipe created by the mother of DaVita dialysis patient Aditya from California and submitted by DaVita dietitian Shawna from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 7 g
Carbohydrates 27 g
Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Sodium 287 mg
Potassium 169 mg
Phosphorus 86 mg
Calcium 46 mg
Fiber 2.3 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register