Crispy-Crunch Snack Bars
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounce package marshmallows
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 1 ounce unsalted pretzels sticks
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
- Coat a spatula and a 13 x 9-inch pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir frequently until completely melted, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from the heat.
- Continue stirring and add rice cereal one cup at a time until all the cereal is evenly coated with the sticky marshmallow mixture.
- Pour mixture into the pan. Use the spatula to evenly press the mixture into the pan.
- Combine the cranberries, oats and chocolate chips in a small bowl. Roughly chop pretzel sticks and peanuts then add to the cranberry mixture. Combine the ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the cereal mixture. Press down lightly.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes. Cut into 12 bars.
- Cut bars into 24 portions for a portion lower in calories and carbohydrates (recommended for people with diabetes).
- For on an on-the-go snack, individually wrap each bar in plastic wrap.
- To keep bars crisp store in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Heidi from California
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 39 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 102 mg
Potassium 50 mg
Phosphorus 36 mg
Calcium 6 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Added Sugar 17 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1-1/2 high-calorie
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register