Honey-Maple Trail Mix
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3 cups Golden Grahams® cereal
- 5 cups Rice Chex® cereal
- 10 ounces Cinnamon Teddy Grahams® snack cookies
- 6 ounces unsalted pretzels
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 5 ounces dried cranberries, sweetened
- 3 ounces apple chips
- Combine Golden Grahams, Rice Chex, Teddy Grahams and pretzels in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan; add brown sugar, honey and maple syrup. Cook over low heat until sugar is melted.
- Pour over cereal mixture and mix well until all pieces are coated.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Prepare 3 jelly roll pans by lining with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with cooking spray. (Can be done in 3 batches). Spread cereal mixture evenly over pans. Bake at 325° F for 20 minutes; stirring once halfway though.
- Mix cranberries and apple chips; divide evenly among pans and stir.
- Bake 5 more minutes; cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- For an extra twist sprinkle trail mix with Mrs. Dash® Caribbean Citrus or Fiesta Lime seasoning blend.
- If you have diabetes, reduce portion size to 1/2 cup for a lower carbohydrate snack.
- Look in the produce section for apple chips if you do not find it in the snack section.
- Share extra servings with family and friends or cut recipe in half to make less.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Helen from Colorado.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 39 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 169 mg
Potassium 80 mg
Phosphorus 46 mg
Calcium 56 mg
Fiber 1.6 g
Added Sugar 17 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 starch
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register