Popcorn 3 Ways
3 cups popcorn
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1-1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot chili sauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pour canola oil in medium saucepan and place over medium-high heat.
- Add three popcorn kernels and place lid, slightly cracked on the pan.
- When all three kernels have popped, add the remaining kernels and gently shake pan to coat kernels in oil. Replace lid, slightly cracked on pan.
- Popcorn kernels will begin popping rapidly. When popping slows, remove pan from heat and pour into 3 separate bowls.
- Drizzle chili sauce over popcorn in first bowl and gently toss to coat.
- Mix nutritional yeast with 2 teaspoons melted butter. Drizzle over popcorn in second bowl and gently toss to coat.
- Combine the remaining melted butter with the cinnamon and sugar. Drizzle over popcorn in the third bowl and gently toss to coat.
- Divide each bowl into 2 servings so each person gets 1 cup of each popcorn flavor.
- Use white or yellow popcorn.
- CAUTION: Oil will be hot and can pop out of pan during popping. Be careful!
- Increase Sriracha sauce to 2 teaspoons if more heat is desired.
- This spicy, sweet and cheesy popcorn keeps for 1 to 2 days if sealed in a container or zip-top bag.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Tara from Michigan
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 19 g
Cholesterol 20 mg
Sodium 65 mg
Potassium 96 mg
Phosphorus 78 mg
Calcium 17 mg
Fiber 3.7 g
Added Sugar 1 g - 4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 3 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register