- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 teaspoons ginger root
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 3 tablespoons canola oil plus oil for deep frying
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 pound ground beef
- 24 spring roll pastries (1 packet)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons water
- Chop onion; finely chop ginger root and cilantro. Set green peas out to thaw.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Add onion, ginger root, coriander, pepper and Garam Masala.
- Add the ground beef and cook until it is no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Add green peas and cook until the mixture is dry. Add cilantro and stir.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of flour with enough water to make a thin paste.
- Roll out pastry on a floured board. Put 2 tablespoons of the beef mixture in the center of the pastry and fold over. Seal edges with a paste of flour and water.
- Heat oil for deep frying and fry pastries until golden brown.
- Egg roll wrappers or filo dough can be used instead of spring roll pastry if desired.
- For a lower fat version you can bake the Samosa on a greased baking sheet instead of frying.
- Instead of beef try ground turkey or pork for variety.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Tahseen from Florida.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 6 g
Carbohydrates 14 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 83 mg
Potassium 88 mg
Phosphorus 56 mg
Calcium 13 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register