- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 large eggs
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup oatmeal, uncooked
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons white all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Chop onion. Beat eggs.
- Combine first 11 ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Roll into 1” balls and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
- To make sauce, melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add flour, reduced-sodium broth, remaining tablespoon dried thyme and water.Cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened.
- Add meatballs to sauce and lower temperature to keep warm or place in a covered warming dish or slow cooker on low heat setting.
- Reduced-sodium broth contains 450 to 500 mg sodium per cup. Low-sodium broth contains 140 mg sodium or less per cup.
- Make meatballs ahead and refrigerate. When ready to serve, heat ingredients together and transfer to a warming dish.
Submitted by: Recipe submitted DaVita dietitian Kathy, MS, RD, LDN, CSR, from Pennsylvania.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 4 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 59 mg
Sodium 93 mg
Potassium 140 mg
Phosphorus 91 mg
Calcium 19 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register