2 lettuce leaf cups
- Higher Potassium
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon sherry cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon red chili sauce
- 2 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- 8 pieces iceberg lettuce leaves, whole
- Mince garlic. Chop cucumber and bell pepper.
- Mix the ground meat until well combined with garlic, sherry, soy sauce, red chili sauce, brown sugar and ginger in a medium bowl.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat.
- Add the beef mixture and cook, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon, until cooked through (about three minutes).
- Stir in the sesame oil and keep warm.
- Heat the rice.
- Combine cucumber and red bell pepper in a bowl.
- Fill each lettuce leaf with 1/4 cup ground beef, 1/4 cup cucumber/red pepper mixture and 2 tablespoons rice. Wrap and enjoy!
- Look for Asian-style chili sauce. Compare to find the lowest sodium brand.
- Ground turkey can be substituted for ground beef.
- Dry vermouth can be substituted for sherry cooking wine.
- Serve with green tea.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 26 g
Carbohydrates 17 g
Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 77 mg
Sodium 311 mg
Potassium 591 mg
Phosphorus 252 mg
Calcium 46 mg
Fiber 1.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Nichole from Maryland.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register