1 tacos with 1-1/2 ounces steak
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 pound skirt or flank steak (falda)
- 3 limes
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash® lemon pepper herb seasoning blend
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 flour tortillas, 6" size
- 1/2 cup queso fresco Mexican cheese
- Marinate steak in shallow dish with juice of 2 limes, lemon pepper and garlic powder, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Finely chop cilantro; dice onion and garlic. Make salsa by mixing cilantro, onion, garlic and juice of 1 lime. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat. Slice steak thinly and cook until well done, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place equal amounts of cooked steak, about 1-1/2 ounces, in each flour tortilla.
- Top each taco with one tablespoon crumbled queso fresco.
- Wrap each taco in aluminum foil and bake 5 to 8 minutes or until tortillas are warm.
- Remove from oven. Top each taco with salsa and enjoy!
- Find queso fresco at a Mexican grocery store or substitute1/4 cup Monterrey Jack cheese. Add 1/2 tablespoon per taco.
- Compare brands and buy the lowest sodium tortillas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 15 g
Carbohydrates 17 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 38 mg
Sodium 282 mg
Potassium 240 mg
Phosphorus 180 mg
Calcium 93 mg
Fiber 0.9 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 starch
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Jessica from Kansas
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register