Beef and Cheese Chile Rellenos
2 chile pepper halves
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Anaheim chile peppers
- 1 tsp + 1 cup canola oil
- 1/4 pound lean ground beef
- 2 ounces asadero cheese
- 2 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic clove.
- In either a hot skillet or directly onto the flame, heat chile peppers until skin is evenly blackened. Carefully, wrap chiles in plastic wrap or paper bag to continue to soften and cool.
- Place 1 teaspoon oil, diced onion and garlic in a skillet over medium heat to soften. Add ground beef and cook until it crumbles and is brown. Set aside in a bowl.
- Once chile peppers have cooled, peel off blackened skin and cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and clean out the inside.
- Add the asadero and ricotta cheeses to the cooled ground beef mixture. Stuff each chile half with this mixture.
- In a small bowl beat the egg white.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Coat each chile with a light layer of flour and then dip into the egg white to cover. Fry each chile in oil until golden.
- Run chiles under cold water to remove blackened skin.
- Substitute poblano chiles or small bell peppers if Anaheim chiles are unavailable.
- Queso asadero is a creamy semi-soft white cheese often used in Mexican cooking. If unavailable substitute mozzarella cheese.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitians Nana and Cristina from California
Nutrients per serving
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 20 g
Fat 25 g
Cholesterol 76 mg
Sodium 297 mg
Potassium 457 mg
Phosphorus 327 mg
Calcium 287 mg
Fiber 1.2 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register