about 1-1/2 cups
- Higher Potassium
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 medium tomato
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper
- 8 ounces lean stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Thinly slice onion. Chop tomato and bell pepper. Cut beef into small cubes.
- Sauté onion and oil in a skillet until the onion is slightly brown. Add beef and tomatoes.
- When partially cooked, add bell pepper, salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking until meat is tender.
- Tibbs is a common Ethiopian dish that can be served with pita bread, half of a piece of injera or 1-cup cooked rice.
- Variations of Beef Tibbs can be prepared by adding different ingredients of your choice.
- Add 1 jalapeño pepper if spicier taste is preferred..
- By using only a small portion of tomato, Beef Tibbs becomes an appropriate dish for dialysis patients.
- Adjust the portion for a lower protein CKD-non-dialysis diet.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Hanna from Maryland.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 6 g
Fat 20 g
Cholesterol 69 mg
Sodium 326 mg
Potassium 503 mg
Phosphorus 230 mg
Calcium 19 mg
Fiber 1.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register