Bob's Oven-Baked Pork Ribs
3 ounces boneless pork
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium red apple
- 3 pounds baby back pork ribs
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 225° F.
- Cut onion into 1/2" slices. Core apple and cut into 1/2" slices.
- Combine brown sugar and Creole seasoning in a small bowl; set aside.
- Place ribs in a 9" x 13" glass baking dish (cut ribs in half to fit into pan).
- Rub olive oil onto both sides of ribs, then repeat using brown sugar and Creole seasoning mixture.
- Place onion and apple slices on top of ribs.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into dish and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for approximately 5 to 6 hours. Remove foil and brush ribs with 1/3 cup barbecue sauce. Bake uncovered for an additional 45 minutes or more at 325° F until temperature of ribs reaches 185 ° F.
- Remove from oven. Carefully drain liquid, and discard onion and apples.
- Cut ribs into individual pieces and serve immediately, or cool and freeze for a later date.
- If desired add additional barbecue sauce at the table.
- Choose barbecue sauce lowest in sodium or try one of the DaVita.com homemade barbecue sauce recipes.
- These ribs freeze well. Make extra for a quick meal later.
- Great for leftovers. Try the pork on a bun with coleslaw and hot sauce.
- Adjust the portion to match your meal plan if you are on a lower protein diet.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Grace from Oklahoma.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 23 g
Carbohydrates 8 g
Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 79 mg
Sodium 391 mg
Potassium 388 mg
Phosphorus 195 mg
Calcium 30 mg
Fiber 0.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register