Braised Beef Brisket Lower Protein
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2-1/2 pounds beef brisket, (3-1/2 pounds untrimmed)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Trim fat from beef brisket and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Dice onion, celery and carrot. Chop parsley.
- Using a heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and brown meat 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove meat and add onion, celery and carrots. Cook and stir 4 minutes to deglaze the pot.
- Add bay leaves and parsley to vegetable mixture, and place meat on top of vegetables.
- Pour broth, water and balsamic vinegar over meat to cover and heat until liquid boils.
- Cover pot and cook in the oven for 1-1/2 hours. Turn meat over and cook an additional 1-1/2 hours until meat is tender enough to cut with a fork.
- Remove meat from pot. Add one cup water to pan juices and stir. Strain liquid from solids. Discard vegetables and reserve broth for gravy (see recipe in "Sauces & Seasonings" section).
- Slice brisket, top with gravy and serve.
- This lower protein version of Braised Beef Brisket has a smaller portion compared to the original recipe on
DaVita.com. The nutrients have been adjusted to reflect this change.
- Save money--brisket costs less than most other beef cuts. It is a muscular, less tender beef cut, best when cooked slowly in liquid to tenderize the meat.
- Use beef brisket for roast beef sandwiches, tacos or burritos, potpie or beef stew.
- This recipe can be cooked in a slow cooker on low heat 8 to 10 hours.
- Look for reduced sodium broth containing 500 milligrams sodium or less per 1 cup serving. Avoid low sodium broth that contains potassium chloride—it’s very high in potassium. Recommended brands include Health Valley® No Salt Added Fat Free Beef Flavored Broth www.HealthValley.com (800-423-4846), Kitchen Basics® Natural Beef Flavor Stock www.kitchenbasics.net, and Swanson® Lower Sodium Beef Broth www.swansonbroth.com.
Submitted by: Recipe created exclusively for DaVita.com by DaVita dietitian Sara RD, CSR, CDE from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 19 g
Carbohydrates 3 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 56 mg
Sodium 118 mg
Potassium 230 mg
Phosphorus 129 mg
Calcium 20 mg
Fiber 0.6 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 meat
- 1 vegetable low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
24 servings SERVINGS
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register