2/3 cup stroganoff, 1 cup egg noodles
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 pound boneless beef top round, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 12 ounces egg noodles, uncooked
- Chop onion and mince garlic cloves.
- Mix the beef, broth, sherry, onion, garlic, oregano, pepper, thyme and bay leaf in a Crock-Pot. Cover and cook on high until beef is tender, 4 to 5 hours.
- Combine the sour cream, flour and water; mix until smooth.
- Add the sour cream mixture to the beef in the Crock-Pot and allow to cook another 15 to 25 minutes until the mixture is thickened.
- Cook egg noodles according to package instructions, omitting salt. Drain.
- Serve stroganoff over egg noodles.
- If you are on a lower protein diet, adjust the meat portion according to your meal plan.
- Double the ingredients for the Crock-Pot. When beef is tender, reserve one half of the cooked beef, cool and freeze for later use. When reusing, allow frozen beef mixture to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Reheat slowly over medium heat. Mix the sour cream, flour and water until smooth. Blend into reheated beef mixture and cook until thickened.
- Look for reduced-sodium broth containing 500 milligrams sodium or less per 1 cup serving. Avoid low sodium broths and bouillons that contain potassium chloride—it’s very high in potassium.
- Cooking sherry contains added salt; use regular sherry instead.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 28 g
Carbohydrates 48 g
Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 105 mg
Sodium 71 mg
Potassium 325 mg
Phosphorus 275 mg
Calcium 51 mg
Fiber 2.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 3 starch
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Janice from South Dakota.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register