Easy Shepherd’s Pie
1/8 of pie
- Higher Potassium
- 1 medium onion
- 3/4 cup carrots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 medium potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (7% fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup brown gravy
- Chop onion and carrots. Mince garlic cloves. Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Boil in a large pot of water for 5 minutes. Drain water, replace with fresh water and boil again until potatoes are tender; drain.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large frying pan. Over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic until tender (10 minutes).
- Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink.
- Add pepper, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and vegetables. Simmer on low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Mash potatoes in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of butter. Mix in milk to give potatoes a creamy consistency. Add pepper to taste.
- Spread beef evenly in a baking dish. Cover evenly with mash potatoes. Use a fork to make a design.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly. To brown top, broil for 2 minutes if desired.
- Serve 1 tablespoons of gravy over each portion.
- Double boiling potatoes in a large pot of water reduces potassium content. Peel and cut potatoes into small pieces, cover with water and boil 5 minutes. Replace with fresh water and cook to desired consistency. Discard cooking water.
- Freeze extra portions for a quick meal later.
- The nutrient analysis includes gravy from a dry mix. Make low-sodium homemade gravy to reduce sodium content.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Juhi from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 26 g
Carbohydrates 22 g
Fat 22 g
Cholesterol 94 mg
Sodium 312 mg
Potassium 605 mg
Phosphorus 296 mg
Calcium 99 mg
Fiber 2.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 starch
- 1-1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1-1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register