1 cup goulash + 1/2 cup noodles
- Higher Potassium
- 3 medium sweet onions
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes
- 3 green bell peppers
- 2 pounds lean beef chuck
- 1 slice bacon
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces egg noodles, uncooked
- Chop onions into medium pieces. Seed and chop tomato. Slice bell peppers into 1/4" strips.
- Cut beef into approximately 1-inch cubes. Brown the beef in a large skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. When browned on the outside, remove from the pan and set aside.
- With kitchen scissors, cut the bacon in half lengthwise, then into 12 small snips for 24 pieces.
- Cook bacon in skillet for approximately 3 minutes over medium heat. Add chopped onions and 1/4 cup water. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add remaining water, paprika, beef, peppers and tomato. Simmer over lowest heat for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Serve goulash over 1/2 cup noodles
- Like chicken soup, there are many variations on goulash. Be assured, it is not a beef stew made with carrots and thickened with flour or corn starch!
- If you are not on a potassium restricted diet, add a 16-ounce can of crushed tomatoes instead of 1 cup raw tomatoes.
- You can reduce the portion to 1/2 cup goulash with 1/2 cup noodles if you are on a lower protein.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Anne from Pennsylvania.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 33 g
Carbohydrates 24 g
Fat 19 g
Cholesterol 115 mg
Sodium 104 mg
Potassium 509 mg
Phosphorus 318 mg
Calcium 34 mg
Fiber 3.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 starch
- 2 vegetables, low and medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register