Grandpa Joe's Meatloaf
1/6 slice of loaf, about 3 ounces
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 8 ounces low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 ounce shredded natural cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine ground beef, egg,1/4 cup bread crumbs, brown sugar, 3 ounces tomato sauce, garlic powder and onion powder in a bowl.
- Mix thoroughly by hand. Separate into two equal halves.
- Smooth one half into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the meat.
- Smooth the rest of the ground beef mixture on top of the cheese.
- Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the meatloaf.
- Sprinkle the remaining bread crumbs over the meatloaf.
- Cover and cook in the oven for one hour, or cook uncovered in a microwave oven at 70% power for 35 minutes.
- Substitute ground turkey for beef if desired.
- This meatloaf is very garlicky. Adjust the amount of garlic powder and onion powder to suit your taste.
- Reduce carbohydrate to 17 grams by substituting 1/4 cup Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend for the 1/2 cup brown sugar.
- Portion leftover meatloaf into individual servings, wrap and freeze for a quick meatloaf sandwich or meal later.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Janis from Florida.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 19 g
Carbohydrates 21 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 92 mg
Sodium 154 mg
Potassium 397 mg
Phosphorus 186 mg
Calcium 82 mg
Fiber 1.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register