Ground Beef and Green Pea Stove-top Casserole
- Higher Potassium
- 3 cups new potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 3 cups fresh shelled green peas
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Peel and cube potatoes and place in a large pot of water; bring to a boil. Remove from heat, drain water and add fresh room temperature water. Bring potatoes to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Chop onion. Simmer ground beef, onion and 1/2 cup of water in a 3-quart pan until meat is crumbled and brown.
- Add potatoes, green peas and remaining 2 cups of water to ground beef mixture. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes, until peas are tender.
- Mix 1/4 cup of beef broth with cornstarch and stir until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add cornstarch mixture to pan along with remaining broth, and simmer until casserole is thick.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- This is a favorite from the Idle-Not ranch in Colorado.
- Step # 1 instructs on the double boiling method to reduce potassium in potatoes. Skip the double boiling and cook potatoes until tender if a low potassium diet is not required.
- Any type of potato can be substituted for new potatoes.
- Mix it up-- substitute ground deer, chicken or pork for beef.
- Substitute frozen mixed vegetables, frozen green beans, or frozen carrots for peas if desired.
Submitted by: Recipe originally provided by DaVita patient Deb, and submitted by DaVita dietitian Laura from Colorado.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 21 g
Carbohydrates 28 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 50 mg
Sodium 154 mg
Potassium 632 mg
Phosphorus 270 mg
Calcium 44 mg
Fiber 5.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 meat
- 1 starch
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register