Italian Beef with Peppers and Onions
3 ounces meat with 1/4 cup vegetables
- 3-pound lean beef roast, fat trimmed
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini juice
- Place the beef roast, oregano, pepper, garlic powder and red pepper in a Crock-Pot®. Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours until tender.
- Remove beef from Crock-Pot and let cool.
- Shred beef and remove fat.
- Place the shredded beef back into the Crock-Pot. Add the sliced peppers, onion and pepperoncini juice.
- Cook on high for 45 to 60 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve Italian beef on a hamburger bun or roll.
- Pepperoncini juice is high in sodium and replaces other sodium sources in this recipe. Limit portion and avoid adding salt to keep total sodium intake low.
- For a lower-protein diet, reduce meat portion according to your diet plan or consult with your dietitian.
Submitted by: Recipe created by Davita patient, Thomas, and submitted by DaVita dietitian Victoria from California..
Nutrients per serving
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 3 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 84 mg
Sodium 121 mg
Potassium 280 mg
Phosphorus 196 mg
Calcium 21 mg
Fiber 0.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register