- 1 small potatoes
- 1 medium white onion
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 3/4 cup lettuce
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® Original herb seasoning blend
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 pieces pita bread, 6” size
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Peel and grate the potato, then soak in warm water for 2 hours to reduce potassium. Rinse, drain and squeeze excess water using a clean dish towel.
- Grate the white onion; dice the red onion and shred the lettuce.
- Mix ground beef, white onion, grated potato, egg, turmeric, garlic powder, black pepper and Mrs. Dash seasoning until well mixed.
- Heat the oil in a medium-size skillet.
- Make 5 patties (round, the size of your palm) and fry over medium heat until browned on both sides.
- Serve each patty on a pita with lettuce, red onion and fresh basil.
- French bread, lavash, hamburger buns or tortillas are also good bread choices.
- Use less oil and a non-stick pan to lower calorie and fat.
- It’s easy to get very creative with Kotlets by adding or substituting various ingredients. Serve cold or hot for lunch, dinner or as an appetizer.
- Shredded hash brown potatoes can be substituted for fresh potato. No need to soak potatoes if you are not on a potassium restriction.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 38 g
Fat 21 g
Cholesterol 98 mg
Sodium 388 mg
Potassium 468 mg
Phosphorus 247 mg
Calcium 114 mg
Fiber 3.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Zohreh from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register