Nicaraguan Beef Tenderloins
- Heart Healthy
- 1 pound beef tenderloin, trimmed of visible fat
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into four 1/2” thick slices
- 1/2 cup Chimichurri Sauce
- Place beef lengthwise on a cutting board. Cut the beef with the meat’s grain into 4 flat even slices. Place each slice between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound to 1/4” thickness with a meat mallet. Season with ground pepper and arrange in a 9” x 13” baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion, parsley, garlic, bay leaves and vinegar. Whisk thoroughly and pour over the meat. Cover the meat and marinate for 8 minutes; turn meat over and marinate 8 minutes longer.
- Preheat grill or broiler. Coat sweet onion slices with cooking spray and grill until nicely browned, about 4 minutes per side. Place onion slices onto a platter.
- Place beef on grill or broiler and dispose of marinate. Grill marinated beef for 2 minutes per side for medium rare or to the internal temperature of 150º F for medium. Arrange beef slices on top of grilled onions.
- Serve with 3 ounce portions cooked tenderloin with 2 tablespoons Chimichurri Sauce.
- Use a stronger white or yellow onion in the marinade and grill the sweet onion slices.
- For a lower protein diet, adjust portion of beef according to your meal plan and protein prescription.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Robin from Virginia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 10 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 67 mg
Sodium 61 mg
Potassium 497 mg
Phosphorus 221 mg
Calcium 51 mg
Fiber 1.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1-1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register