- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 pound ground lean pork (chicken or turkey is ok if preferred over pork)
- 20 leaves Napa cabbage
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or fresh minced ginger)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- For filling: Mix meat, chives, sesame oil, ground ginger and soy sauce in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- For dough: In a separate bowl, gradually add water to the flour while mixing. Add enough water to create dough. Knead dough on floured surface until uniform and smooth.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Flatten dough and use rolling pin to create 3-1/2 to 4-inch diameter circles.
- Place approximately 1 rounded tablespoon of filling in the center of a circle.
- Bring opposite ends of the circle together. Pinch to hold in place. Create pleats on either side to seal the dumpling.
- Place completed dumpling on floured surface or plate. Either freeze or cook immediately.
- Place enough water in a pot to cover the amount of dumplings you want to make.
- Bring water to a boil and place dumplings in boiling water. Occasionally stir. Dumplings are done when edges are translucent and floating. Remove from water with a slotted ladle or spoon.
- Dip cooked dumplings in sauce and enjoy! Makes approximately 48 dumplings.
- If using Napa cabbage, wash cabbage leaves and wring out water. Chop or shred.
- Freeze folded dumplings on a tray overnight and transfer to bags to cook later.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Amy from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 37 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 33 mg
Sodium 150 mg
Potassium 424 mg
Phosphorus 176 mg
Calcium 27 mg
Fiber 1.9 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 2-1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register