- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup orange flavored drink
- 1/2 cup ketchup, no salt added
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2-1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut pork into cubes, removing large pieces of fat.
- In a large skillet, cook pork, onions and garlic in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for at least an hour.
- Remove cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Shred pork with 2 forks. Serve as an entrée or make pork sandwiches.
- Sunny Delight orange drink is much lower in potassium than orange juice.
- 1 cup Sunny Delight = 23 mg potassium
- 1 cup orange juice = 430 mg potassium
Submitted by: Recipe was created by DaVita patient, Elvira and submitted by DaVita dietitian Arlene from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 22 g
Carbohydrates 7 g
Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 77 mg
Sodium 104 mg
Potassium 365 mg
Phosphorus 197 mg
Calcium 21 mg
Fiber 0.1 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1/2 vegetable low potassium
- 1/2 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register