- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 boneless leg of lamb, well-trimmed, rolled and tied (about 4-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons oregano leaves, dried and crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Set butter out to bring to room temperature.
- Wash and lightly trim the fat from the lamb and set aside in a roasting pan.
- Chop rosemary and mince the garlic.
- Blend the oregano, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper and half the soft butter or margarine together in a small bowl.
- Make slits into the leg of lamb with a sharp knife and stuff the herb and butter mixture into the slits.
- Spread the remaining herb and butter mixture over the lamb.
- Mix lemon juice with remaining butter and pour over lamb.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes for each pound.
- After an hour, remove the lid, add the water to the drippings in the pan and baste often until the meat is well browned and tender.
- Uncover during the last half hour of cooking for a crisp skin.
- For a lower protein diet reduce portion to match your meal plan or check with the dietitian to determine portion size.
- Use this guide for cooking times: medium rare, 145° F internal temperature, 20 to 30 minutes per pound; medium, 160° F internal temperature, 30 to 35 minutes per pound; well done, 170° F internal temperature, 35 to 40 minutes per pound.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 30 g
Carbohydrates 0 g
Fat 22 g
Cholesterol 118 mg
Sodium 326 mg (114 mg, if prepared without salt) mg
Potassium 394 mg
Phosphorus 228 mg
Calcium 32 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Julianna RD, CSR, CDE from New York.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register