1 short rib, 3/4 cup vegetables with broth
- CKD non-dialysis
- 16 ounces beef short ribs (two 8-ounce ribs)
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper (or as desired)
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1-1/2 cups tap water
- 1/2 lemon
- Season short ribs liberally with cracked black pepper and place in a slow cooker.
- Julienne the onion half. Place the onion and baby carrots on top of the short ribs.
- Add red wine and water
- Squeeze in lemon juice and add the lemon half to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
- Place each short rib on a plate and cover with a ladle of broth and vegetables.
- Adding water instead of beef or chicken broth cuts sodium significantly.
- Adjust portion to match your meal plan.
- This recipe is featured in the DaVita Eats: Chef Tips video series.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 19 g
Carbohydrates 10 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 54 mg
Sodium 85 mg
Potassium 497 mg
Phosphorus 179 mg
Calcium 43 mg
Fiber 2.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1-1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: Recipe provided by Chef Frank Bonanno from Denver, CO.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register