3 ounces beef, 1/3 cup potatoes, 1/4 cup gravy or broth
- 3 cups potatoes
- 1 cup onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2-1/2 pounds beef brisket, fat trimmed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated beef bouillon powder or granules
- 12 ounces light beer
- Double boil potatoes to reduce potassium content. (See helpful hints below).
- Chop onion and garlic.
- Place beef brisket in slow cooker. Combine all other ingredients except potatoes, and pour over brisket.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or cook on high for 4 to 5 hours until meat is tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and add to slow cooker. Turn heat to high and cook covered an additional 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- To double boil potatoes for potassium removal, cut into small pieces and boil in a large pot of water. Drain; add fresh water and boil for 10 minutes. Drain. Add to slow cooker during last 10 to 15 minutes. This boiling method has been shown to reduce potassium similar to leaching if the potatoes are cut into small pieces.
- Brisket may be replaced with any other pot roast.
- 1 medium onion yields 1 cup chopped onion.
- To make gravy with meat juices, add 2 tablespoons flour to 1/4-cup cold water. Stir into slow cooker after removing meat and vegetables. Stir until gravy thickens.
- 2-1/2 pounds raw brisket yields 2 pounds cooked brisket.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 30 g
Carbohydrates 16 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 86 mg
Sodium 149 mg
Potassium 424 mg
Phosphorus 286 mg
Calcium 16 mg
Fiber 1.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: Recipe created exclusively for DaVita.com by DaVita dietitian Sara, RD, CSR, CDE, from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register