1 cup plus 1/2 cup rice
- 3-pound pork shoulder roast
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups long grain white rice, uncooked
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanut butter
- 8 green onions, sliced
- Place the pork roast, red bell peppers, garlic, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook 8 hours on the low setting.
- In a pot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Reduce to low heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes.
- Remove meat from slow cooker and shred.
- Stir peanut butter into the mixture in the slow cooker.
- Return shredded meat to slow cooker and mix well.
- Serve over cooked rice with a sprinkling of green onion.
- For extra-spicy tastes, serve Thai garlic-chile paste on the side.
- Unseasoned rice vinegar is used because seasoned rice vinegar has added salt and sugar.
- If you are on a lower protein diet reduce the pork portion to match your meal plan or consult your dietitian for advise on portion size.
- Prepare rice in a rice cooker if you have one.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 26 g
Carbohydrates 25 g
Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 77 mg
Sodium 332 mg
Potassium 438 mg
Phosphorus 262 mg
Calcium 38 mg
Fiber 1.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Erika from Ohio.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register