Southwestern Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
1 stuffed bell pepper
- Higher Potassium
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (crush in palm of hand)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 10 ounces can Rotel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut tops off each red pepper. Remove seeds and stems.
- Parboil peppers for about 4 minutes.
- In a large skillet heat canola oil and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add ground beef and stir meat around to separate.
- Add ground garlic powder, cumin and dried oregano to meat mixture.
- Add corn and canned tomatoes with chilies. Mix into meat mixture.
- Stand bell peppers in a 2-quart baking pan. Fill with meat mixture, adding any left over to pan.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- If you want less heat add the mild version of canned tomatoes with chilies.
- Be sure to count as 2 vegetable servings if you are on a low potassium diet. To reduce the potassium to 534 mg add 1-1/2 cups of cooked rice, omit the corn and reduce canned tomatoes and chilies to 1/2 cup.
- Patients who do peritoneal dialysis or daily home hemodialysis often require a higher potassium intake. This recipe can help provide more potassium.
- For lower protein CKD-nondialysis diets reduce the ground beef to 1/2 pound of the amount recommended by your dietitian.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Odila from Texas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 14 g
Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 73 mg
Sodium 352 mg
Potassium 682 mg
Phosphorus 235 mg
Calcium 42 mg
Fiber 3.1 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register