Stuffed Cucumber Rings
1 stuffed cucumber ring (1/4 cucumber)
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash® Lemon Pepper seasoning blend
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash® Chicken Grilling Blend
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 cup water
- Peel cucumbers and cut each cucumber horizontally into 4 round pieces. Remove seeds from the middle of each cucumber round to make it hollow in the center.
- In a mixing bowl combine ground meat with egg, cornstarch, sugar, wine, garlic powder, ginger, Mrs. Dash seasonings, basil and parsley.
- Add 1/4 cup water gradually into ground meat mixture and mix well until water is absorbed.
- Stuff the cucumber round with ground meat stuffing. Place each piece in a food steamer and steam about 15 minutes until meat is done.
- If you like cucumber to be a little softer, steam up to 20 minutes.
- Use a rice cooker/food steamer or steam on the stove top in a wok or pan with a metal or bamboo steam basket.
- You can thicken the juices from cooked Cucumber Rings by adding one teaspoon cornstarch to juices in a sauce pan and heat until sauce thickens. Drizzle the sauce over cucumbers and top with chopped green onion.
- This recipe works well with ground chicken or turkey if poultry is preferred over pork.
Submitted by: Recipe created by DaVita renal dietitian Lisa from California and was inspired by her dear mother SueRh.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 13 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 66 mg
Sodium 43 mg
Potassium 323 mg
Phosphorus 140 mg
Calcium 30 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register