1 pepper half
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3 green bell peppers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons unsalted margarine (divided use)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons thick and chunky mild salsa
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® onion herb seasoning
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup soft white bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Cut peppers in half from stem to bottom. Remove seeds. Parboil 4 minutes.
- In a large frying pan cook ground beef. Remove meat and reserve. Discard pan drippings.
- Sauté onion in 1 teaspoon margarine until translucent. Add salsa, Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning, cooked rice and meat. Stir to combine.
- Stuff green pepper halves with the meat and rice mixture, and place into a shallow baking dish. Add 1/2 cup water to the pan.
- Combine bread crumbs, poultry seasoning and melted margarine. Sprinkle over stuffed peppers.
- Cover and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes until browned.
- To reduce fat substitute 7% fat ground turkey for ground beef.
- For variety use red or orange bell peppers instead of green peppers.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 16 g
Carbohydrates 20 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 152 mg
Potassium 313 mg
Phosphorus 132 mg
Calcium 29 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 starch
- 1 fat
Submitted by: Recipes from Cooking for David: A Culinary Dialysis Cookbook written by Sara Colman, RD, CSR, CDE and Dorothy Gordon, RN and submitted by DaVita dietitian Sara in California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register