Sweet and Spicy Braised Beef
- Higher Potassium
- 3 pounds bottom round roast, well-trimmed
- 12 ounces frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- Place sliced onion in slow cooker.
- In large deep skillet, heat oil and brown beef on all sides.
- Remove beef from skillet and place in slow cooker.
- Add apple juice and spices to pan. Loosen browned bits from bottom of pan with spatula. Allow juice to simmer until reduced by approximately half.
- Pour juice over beef in the slow cooker. Set slow cooker on low and cook for approximately 7 hours.
- Remove beef from slow cooker to a deep platter or serving bowl. Shred using two forks.
- Pour juice into a medium saucepan. Bring to simmer.
- Wisk cornstarch into two tablespoons of water. Add to juice and cook until slightly thickened. If you would like a thicker sauce, simmer and reduce juice prior to adding cornstarch.
- Pour sauce over meat and serve.
- Number of servings may vary depending on yield of meat.
- This beef is delicious served in flour tortillas (think carne asada burrito) or on crusty rolls.
- Serve with coleslaw or cucumber and onion salad.
- Divide extra into portions and freeze for a quick meal later.
- For a lower protein diet reduce portion size to match your meal plan
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Johnna from Connecticut.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 30 g
Carbohydrates 18 g
Fat 21 g
Cholesterol 68 mg
Sodium 88 mg
Potassium 564 mg
Phosphorus 260 mg
Calcium 25 mg
Fiber 0.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1 fruit, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register